[svlug] 2+ video cards...

Dan Bethe dtm at hex.net
Fri Oct 23 03:35:59 PDT 1998

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Ze'ev Maor wrote:

> I need to attach 2 video cards to my box, having them both work simultaneously
> producing different displays, one under X and the other as
> terminal/both X/both vt's...where can I find info on this matter?

	Hi there.  The kernel 2.1.125 has the ability to use an MDA (aka
Hercules) card to manage only virtual terminals.  That's a really really
shoddy low-quality approach though.  It's one of those things that you can
get away with if you dont have the resources with which to do it properly.
	Also you can use one video card and run a nice X display on it.
Then get serial terminals, and have mgetty listen on ttyS<n> for a login.
	Also you might get a separate, networked X terminal, and run XDM
off your linux machine.
	Here are some links to the LDP describing more: