[svlug] Two stupid FAQ questions about VI...

Seth David Schoen schoen at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 30 18:52:45 PST 1998

Nick Moffitt writes:

> On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 08:42:41PM -0800, Sam Ockman wrote:
> > ....Alright I'm finally learning vi, and I have two questions that I
> > can't find an answer to.
> >
> > 1) What's the equivalent to esq-q in emacs.  I.e. I've just mananged
> > to mangle a paragraph and need some way to reformat it so all the
> > lines end at around 70 characters to the right margin.
>
> 	gq is the command, followed by movement, such as the period
> for the current position.  If you're using my config file (which
> should still be on antarctica and so forth), it's just Q.  See my
> config file for more configuration of the margin setup.

I'm afraid that's not very portable -- I just tried it on a SunOS box
(which should have "real" vi if anything does, what with Bill Joy).

It works in vim, but not in SunOS vi.

   Seth David Schoen L&S '01 (undeclared) / schoen at uclink4.berkeley.edu
He said, "This is what the king who will reign over you will do."  And they
said, "Nay, but we will have a king over us, that we also may be like all the
nations." (1 Sam 8)  http://ishmael.geecs.org/~sigma/   http://www.loyalty.org/

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org