[svlug] not an IIS4 success story

Bob Dehnhardt dehnhard at brahms.amd.com
Fri Nov 13 11:14:30 PST 1998

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Dave Pippenger wrote:

> Heh.  Better not bet your business on IIS4.  This site in the UK is
> offline:
>
> http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
>
> They say:
>
> Ok, we give up. Owing to technical problems that we can not find the answer
> for (Microsoft IIS4 does not work - thanks to all of those who emailed
> us with help suggestions) and more importantly financial cuts, this web
> site will no longer be operational from mid December.

Looks like it might be a blossoming Open Source success story. The site
now reads:

Update :- Thanks to all who wished us well and who offered suggestions and
help. We are a little overwhelmed at the moment with the email. However we
have now decided to actively persue alternativea and to the end are
looking at re-engineering the site to use flat files and perl. This should
enable us to make the site quicker at a cheaper cost. To this end, if
anyone would like to provide us a quote for 200mb and perl support, we
would be grateful.

 - Bob

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org