[svlug] StarOffice 5

Don Marti dmarti at electriclichen.com
Tue Nov 10 14:25:01 PST 1998

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 07:27:56PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> However, the above seems to imply that anyone who doesn't need
> Microsoft software for his job is just a [computer] hobbyist.  Not
> correct:  It is eminently, supremely practical to be in business
> without using Microsoft's mutating file formats.  All you have to
> do is politely decline such files, and suggest reasonable alternatives.

I do all my business on Linux exclusively.  People don't send me
Microsoft Word files -- ever since I explained to them that there's a
utility called "strings" that lets me read not just what's visible to
the Microsoft Word user, but also a lot of stuff that the user thinks
is long-deleted.

Speaking of Microsoft, please be at their little developer-fest
tomorrow for free food and publicity.  Not the ideal venue but it's
too late for me to bail out now...

Here's the RSVP info:

Microsoft Silicon Valley Developer Center Registration
C/O Event & Marketing Associates - "The Registration Line"
800-205-8464   Phone
425-402-0634   Fax
DevCenter at ema-nw.com

And here's an excerpt from the message I got:

--
Don Marti                                       Electric Lichen L.L.C.
whois DM683                                 -rwxr--r-- Harrison Street

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org