[svlug] MICROSOFT VS LINUX

Seth David Schoen schoen at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 1 21:04:16 PST 1998

RANDY HERRICK writes:

> I just printed out Eric Raymond's piece on microsoft vs opensorce-
>  (37 pages) Does anyone know what FUD TACTICS are? thanks--randy :)

ESR claims that he didn't write that -- he claims that Vinod Valloppillil
wrote it for Microsoft's benefit and that it was leaked to him.

Are you asking what FUD tactics are (definitionally) or holding this paper
up as an example of them?

One can suppose that Microsoft internal memos would have a reason to play
up Microsoft rivals, rather than playing them down.  This memo is _far_
more positive toward Linux than anything Microsoft has ever said in public.
It gives open source development a lot more credit than official Microsoft
tends to, and it proposes that Microsoft will have to work to beat it.  If
so, this is a very good sign, relative to what Microsoft thought in the
past.

   Seth David Schoen L&S '01 (undeclared) / schoen at uclink4.berkeley.edu
He said, "This is what the king who will reign over you will do."  And they
said, "Nay, but we will have a king over us, that we also may be like all the
nations." (1 Sam 8)  http://ishmael.geecs.org/~sigma/   http://www.loyalty.org/

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org