[svlug] mail list netiquette
ikluft at cisco.com
Wed Aug 12 01:57:39 PDT 1998
Some people have been starting to suggest lots of alternate mail lists as
an escape from the oppressive traffic levels on the main SVLUG list.
Though other lists can be created when necessary, it looks like the real
problem to solve is lots of wasted bandwidth on this list.
I've updated SVLUG's mail list web page at
It now includes netiquette guidelines, which are attached below to make
sure everyone sees them. Please take them to heart and make this an
easier environment for your fellow list subscribers.
The page now also contains a copy of Findmail's Top Authors list, with
a bit of pressure that people don't want to be listed there unless they
follow the netiquette guidelines. }:-) I also had the download script
automatically merge some duplicate entries.
Ian Kluft KO6YQ PP-ASEL Cisco Systems, Inc.
ikluft at cisco.com (work) ikluft at thunder.sbay.org (home) San Jose, CA
Important Mail List Netiquette
As our mail lists become busier, it becomes more important for
everyone to be a good net.citizen to avoid the sum of everyone's
traffic from overflowing everyone else's mailboxes. We strongly
recommend the following netiquette guidelines:
* Keep messages on-topic: subjects about Linux or likely to be of
interest to Linux users in Silicon Valley.
* Don't send "me too" messages. One-line replies of agreement are
wasteful. But feel free to respond if you have more to say than
* Do not send or attach entire documents to the list. Send a URL
(web address) where interested readers can find it.
* Remove quoted material from messages you reply to, except for
relevant parts necessary to establish context for your reply.
* Do not quote more lines of a message than you actually add in your
* "Praise in public; criticize in private." Some disagreements are
inevitable. But take flames off-line from the list. If you must
correct factual errors on the list, be polite and correct just the
facts. Don't attack the author.
* Keep your e-mail signature short - 2-5 lines are preferred.
* All job postings must be pre-approved by the SVLUG officers.
* Though this is primarily a Silicon Valley group, also be mindful
of our international audience. Our lists have subscribers on every
echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ to unsubscribe
More information about the svlug