[svlug-announce] SVLUG October meeting: A Million Ways to Provision Embedded Linux Images, with Drew Moseley

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 7 23:46:13 PDT 2019

WHEN:

Tuesday, Oct. 8th, 2019
7 - 8:30pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

TOPIC: A Million Ways to Provision Embedded Linux Images

PRESENTED BY: Drew Moseley
Technical Solutions Architect, Mender.io project

TOPIC SUMMARY:

Embedded Linux is increasingly common, due to explosion of the Internet
of Things (IoT). There are countless off-the-shelf hardware platforms
capable of running embedded Linux, each with its own way to generate and
provision images to device storage media.

OpenEmbedded is a popular build system for embedded Linux, and is
supported by a wide variety of board manufacturers. This build system
will be used to discuss different mechanisms for initial provisioning of
a variety of hardware platforms, and demonstrate the most widely used
mechanisms for getting a new image onto the board.

This session will also cover related topics such as OTA (over the air)
updates, package manager updates, and containers.

This meeting is co-sponsored* by SFBayLUG meetup
(https://www.meetup.com/SFBayLUG/) & SVLUG, who both owe huge thanks to
Sarah Newman for arranging the venue.

ABOUT THE PRESENTER:

Drew Moseley is currently part of the Mender.io open source project to
deploy OTA software updates to embedded Linux devices. He has worked on
embedded projects such as RAID storage controllers, direct- and network-
attached storage devices, and graphical pagers.

He's spent the last 7 years working in Operating System Professional
Services, helping customers develop production embedded Linux systems.
He's spent his career in embedded software and developer tools, and has
focused on embedded Linux and Yocto for about 10 years. He's currently
Customer Engineer at Northern.tech (the company behind the OSS project
Mender.io), helping customers develop safer, more-secure connected
devices. He's has spoken at various conferences, including Embedded
Linux Conference, OSCON, Embedded Systems Conference, Texas Linux Fest,
and other technology conferences, and worked previously for Mentor
Graphics, Red Hat, Intel, and Monta Vista Software.

LOCATION:

 Hacker Dojo, Large Event Room
 3350 Thomas Rd #150 (near Laurelwood Road)
 Santa Clara

 http://www.svlug.org/directions/hackerdojo.php    <--- maps here!

If you have any improvements to make, please let SVLUG's volunteers
know!  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING (if you want):

La Victoria Taqueria, 1415 N 4th St. near Gish Road, San Jose.
Take US-101 south to Brokaw Road exit, proceeding stiraight two blocks
along Technology Place to where you make a slight right curve onto N.
4th Street, proceeding 0.5 miles to La Victoria on your right just
before Gish Road.

We look forward to seeing you there!

*This evening, I belatedly remembered I hadn't double-checked with Kevin
Dankwardt to verify that he's OK with listing SVLUG as co-sponsor,
and he and Sarah Newman have really done all the work -- but haven't
heard back from Kevin at this writing,  If I've overstepped by assuming
co-sponsorship is OK (as in the past), I apologise in advance to Kevin.