[svlug-announce] SVLUG April 6th Meeting: Frank Turner on VirtualBox: Way Better Than Dual-Boot

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Tue Apr 5 19:45:32 PDT 2016

WHEN:

  Wednesday, April 6th, 2016
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

 TOPIC:  VirtualBox: Way Better Than Dual-Boot

 PRESENTED BY:
   Frank Turner

 TOPIC SUMMARY:
   Virtualization is a key cutting-edge technology to run multiple operating systems on on one machine, provide bug and security isolation,
   provision or migrate systems easily, free systems from driver problems, and more. Our speaker will demonstrate VirtualBox, a free-of-charge, very polished,
   novice-friendly virtualization package now sponsored by Oracle. It's even (almost fully) open source.

 ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
   Frank Turner is retired from positions in paint chemistry, chemical sales, engineering sales, and real estate.
   With the preceding experience, it was an obvious career choice to take on computer programming in general and
   Web page development in particular. He has used Linux distributions since the demise of his beloved Amiga computer,
   and is currently running Ubuntu 15.04 on a Mac Pro. (That's the old 42 lb "cheesegrater" Mac Pro.) He is a proud supporter of the open source ethic.

 LOCATION:

   Symantec
   VCAFE Facility
   350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
   Mountain View, CA 94043

   http://www.svlug.org/directions/symantec.php

 webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

 restaurant/diner after the meeting:  Frankie, Johnnie & Luigi, Too,
 939 West El Camino Real between Shoreline and Castro, Mountain View.

Mark Weisler