[svlug-announce] SVLUG Feb. 5th meeting: Rick Moen on How to Get Screamingly Fast Performance with Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 4 20:41:37 PST 2014

WHEN:

   Wednesday, Feb. 5th, 2014
   7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC: How to Get Screamingly Fast Performance with Linux

  PRESENTED BY:
    Rick Moen,
    recovering sysadmin

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    We all know that Linux is considered a high-performance OS, but how
    do you really make it sing?  Rick will go over first the conventional,
    safe, sane ways to get top performance, and then take a stroll on
    the wild side with the unconventional, not-at-all-safe, somewhat
    sanity-challenged methods of getting that last bit of latent speed.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Rick Moen (http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/) is  longtime senior system
    administrator and member of SVLUG's Web Team, who also runs nearby
    Linux user group CABAL (http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/), meeting at
    his and his wife's house in West Menlo Park, and has been fooling
    with various Unixes since the 1980s.  Having formerly been a technical
    employee at several Linux firms (Linuxcare, VA Linux Systems, and
    California Digital Corp.) during decades past, he stresses that it's
    not his fault and he has an alibi.

  LOCATION:

    Symantec
    VCAFE Facility
    350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting:  Frankie, Johnnie & Luigi, Too,
  939 West El Camino Real between Shoreline and Castro, Mountain View.