[svlug-announce] SVLUG Mar. 6th meeting: Rick Moen on 'All about Debian'

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 5 13:16:42 PST 2013

WHEN:

   Wednesday, Mar. 6th, 2013
   7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:  All about Debian.  (Well maybe not ALL about it, but at least
    why it remains such a strong distro.)

  PRESENTED BY:
    Rick Moen

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    Debian GNU/Linux as the second-oldest Linux distribution and
    (reportedly) the distro most popular for deploying Web servers has
    a lot to say for it -- both good and bad.  Our speaker has gotten
    a front-row view of both for the past decade and a half, and will
    regale us with tales of what's good, bad, and sometimes outright
    hilarious about this important Linux distribution (and why you
    should care).

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Rick Moen (http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/) is longtime senior system
    administrator and member of SVLUG's Web Team, who also runs nearby
    Linux user group CABAL (http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/), meeting at
    his and his wife's house in West Menlo Park, and has been fooling
    with various Unices since the 1980s.  Having formerly been a technical
    employee at several Linux firms (Linuxcare, VA Linux Systems, and
    California Digital Corp.) during decades past, he stresses that it's
    not his fault and he has an alibi.

  LOCATION:

    Symantec
    VCAFE Facility
    350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting:  Frankie, Johnnie & Luigi, Too,
  939 West El Camino Real between Shoreline and Castro, Mountain View.