[svlug-announce] SVLUG Nov. 2nd meeting: MapR - the next-generation Hadoop distribution that integrates with Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 1 13:40:50 PST 2011

WHEN:

   Wednesday, Nov. 2nd, 2011
   7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:
    MapR - the next-generation Hadoop distribution that integrates with Linux

  PRESENTED BY:
    Tomer Shiran,
    Director of Product Management, MapR Technologies, Inc.

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    The MapR Distribution (http://www.mapr.com/) for Apache's Hadoop
    (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Apache_Hadoop)
    Java-based software framework (for creating data-intensive
    distributed applications) makes Hadoop dramatically easier, more
    dependable, and faster.  In addition, unlike other distributions, it
    provides capabilities that allow users to leverage the Linux
    ecosystem.  For example, the MapR distribution includes a read/write
    storage layer with NFS access, allowing users to mount the cluster
    and use traditional Linux utilities, ranging from cp and ls to rsync
    and grep.  In this talk, we'll provide an overview of the MapR
    Distribution for Apache Hadoop and its unique capabilities, as well
    as a number of interesting use cases from MapR users.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Tomer Shiran is currently MapR Technologies, Inc.'s Director of
    Product Management.  He's previously worked for IBM Research,
    Microsoft Corporation, HP Labs, and ePassportPhoto.com, and is a
    graduate of the Technion and CMU.

  LOCATION:

    Symantec
    VCAFE Facility
    350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting:  Frankie, Johnnie & Luigi, Too,
  939 West El Camino Real between Shoreline and Castro, Mountain View.