[svlug-announce] SVLUG Mar. 2nd meeting: Jesse Monroy on 'How to Shoot Yourself in the Foot with MySQL'

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 1 20:01:08 PST 2011

WHEN:

  Wednesday, Mar. 2nd, 2011
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:
    How to Shoot Yourself in the Foot with MySQL

  PRESENTED BY:
    Jesse Monroy

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    The economy is rough.  Jobs are temporary at best.  Is this the time
    to start your own business, or help someone else do it?  Is LAMP
    (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) the best route?  Or do you see it failing?

    One BSD philosophy is "always allow enough rope to shoot yourself
    in the foot".  The speaker demonstrates a working business
    (http://www.booksandlibros.com/) and support sites, and
    "how to allow enough rope", showing:
    o  What you can do with just the basics
    o  How to install MySQL and needed components
    o  What other material is available

    Some basic scripts will be available.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Jesse Monroy was founding president of Silicon Valley BSD User
    Group, and currently owns Book and Libros
    (http://www.booksandlibros.com/).

LOCATION:

  Symantec
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.