[svlug-announce] SVLUG Jan. 4th meeting: Micah Cowan on GNU Wget

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 4 16:26:56 PST 2011

WHEN:

  Wednesday, Jan. 4th, 2011
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:
    GNU Wget

  PRESENTED BY:
    Micah Cowan

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    GNU Wget is a utility to retrieve content from Web servers. It
    supports downloading via HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP protocols, the most
    popular TCP/IP-based protocols used for Web browsing.

    Its features include recursive download, conversion of links for offline
    viewing of local HTML, support for proxies, and much more.  It appeared
    in 1996, coinciding with the boom of popularity of the Web, causing its
    wide use among Unix users and distribution with most major Linux
    distributions.  Written in portable C, Wget can be easily installed on
    any Unix-like system, and has been ported to many environments including
    Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, OpenVMS, MorphOS, and AmigaOS.  It has been
    used as the basis for graphical programs, such as GWget for the GNOME
    Desktop, KGet for the KDE Desktop, and VisualWget for MS-Windows.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Micah Cowan was maintainer of Wget between mid-2007 and early 2010.
    His talk will discuss:

    * What is Wget?
    * My history with Wget
    * How to use Wget
          o Restartable downloads
          o Website archiving/recursive downloads
          o Fine-grained controls over which links to follow
          o Content conversions for local browsing
    * Wget shortcomings
    * Lessons learned while maintaining Wget
    * Issues unique to maintaining a GNU project

    In addition to having maintained GNU Wget for a time, Micah Cowan
    (http://micah.cowan.name/) also briefly co-maintained GNU Screen
    (http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/) the terminal multiplexer, and
    is the current maintainer and author of GNU Teseq
    (http://www.gnu.org/software/teseq/).  Other interests
    include digital typography, the Japanese language, video games,
    piano music, and his wife and three children.

LOCATION:

  Symantec
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.