[svlug-announce] SVLUG Dec. 7th meeting: Linux-Based Personal Robotics

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Dec 5 23:12:06 PST 2011

WHEN:

   Wednesday, Dec. 7th, 2011
   7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC: Linux-Based Personal Robotics

  PRESENTED BY:
    Tully Foote
    Systems Engineer, Willow Garage

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    ROS (Robot Operating System, http://www.ros.org/) provides libraries
    and tools to help software developers create robot applications.  It
    provides hardware abstraction, device drivers, libraries, visualizers,
    message-passing, package management, and more.

    In building ROS, we use Linux both as a platform and as a model for
    development.  As a platform, Linux provides a great development
    environment and tools, in addition to well-packaged libraries that are
    tested and integrated.  As a model for development, the open-source
    community built up around Linux is one of the most productive ways to
    develop.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    As a Systems Engineer at Willow Garage (http://www.willowgarage.com/),
    Tully Foote is a core developer of the ROS ecosystem.  He works on
    core tools and libraries.  Recently, he has been focusing on extending
    the support of ROS and the infrastructure to more platforms and
    architectures.  Previous to working at Willow Garage, he worked on
    autonomous cars in all three of the DARPA Grand Challenges, first
    at CalTech and then at UPenn for the Urban Challenge.

  LOCATION:

    Symantec
    VCAFE Facility
    350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting:  Frankie, Johnnie & Luigi, Too,
  939 West El Camino Real between Shoreline and Castro, Mountain View.