[svlug-announce] SVLUG Nov. 3rd meeting: Greg Lindahl on Blekko, a new Web search engine

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 2 13:46:58 PST 2010

WHEN:

  Wednesday, Nov. 3rd, 2010
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:
    Blekko, a new Web search engine

  PRESENTED BY:
    Greg Lindahl

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    Blekko (http://blekko.com/) is a new Web search engine, currently
    in closed beta, offering more-focussed searching using "slashtags",
    tagging criteria used to refine queries, filtering search results
    efficiently to the specific sites of actual interest. Blekko will
    also offer the ability to change the way results are stored,
    plus an open, public Web-crawling and rank data policy. Greg's
    talk will focus on Map/Reduce done better, and NoSQL database.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Greg Lindahl (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/) is CTO at Blekko.  He was
    previously a founder at PathScale, where he was the architect of the
    InfiniPath low-latency InfiniBand HCA, used to build tightly-coupled
    supercomputing clusters.  Prior to PathScale's founding in 2001, Greg
    worked on commodity Linux clusters at HPTi, including the 1999
    Forecast Systems Lab system, which was the first time a Linux
    cluster won a conventional supercomputing procurement.  Greg started
    using Linux in 1996, while working on the Legion "grid" distributed
    OS project at the University of Virginia, and you can trace the
    history of his Linux laptop usage from the guides he's written at
    linux-on-laptops.com and tuxmobil.org.

LOCATION:

  Symantec
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.