[svlug-announce] SVLUG General Meeting, February 6th, Kyle Rankin on Knoppix and Officer Election

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Wed Jan 30 08:02:19 PST 2008

Join the Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) next Wednesday to
learn about intermediate and advanced uses of Knoppix from Kyle Rankin and to
participate in an election of officers.

Please read this announcement a little more carefully than usual as this is an
important meeting and will include an election.

 WHEN:

   Wednesday, February 6th, 2008
   7pm-9pm
   The meeting will start at 7, please try to arrive at 6:45 or so. We have
   a lot to address in the meeting.

MAIN PRESENTATION:
"Intermediate and Advanced Uses of Knoppix"

PRESENTED BY:
Kyle Rankin, Author of "Knoppix Hacks" and other books and articles.

 TOPIC SUMMARY:

Knoppix has become a very useful tool as a rescue distribution and for other
uses and is well known throughout the community. Kyle Rankin's book "Knoppix
Hacks" helped inform people of the usefulness of Knoppix. Kyle has recently
released, through O'Reilly Publishing, a second edition of this book and will
tell us about some of the intermediate and advanced uses of Knoppix treated
in his book including remastering.

   ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Kyle Rankin is a senior systems administrator in the Bay Area and author of
several books and articles including two articles in the current issue of
Linux Journal.

 NIFTY OF THE MONTH:
Not this month.

 LOCATION:

   Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
   VCAFE Facility
   350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
   Mountain View, CA 94043

   http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

   webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

 MEETING REFRESHMENTS:

None are planned for this meeting.

ELECTION OF OFFICERS:

After the main presentation ends at around 8:30 we will have an election for
president and vice-president.
The procedure will be roughly as follows:
* We invite anyone to run for either office.
* Candidates will be allowed up to five minutes to state why they seek office.
* We will ask the candidates to turn away from the membership (so they don't
   see who votes for or against them) and ask people to vote once for each
   candidate who seeks that office.
* Restating: We vote once per office to be elected.
   Plurality wins.

 POST-MEETING GATHERING:

   restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
   selection at the meeting.

Mark Weisler