[svlug-announce] SVLUG January 3 Meeting: Ingres RDBMS

mark weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Sun Dec 31 13:44:46 PST 2006

The Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) meets this Wednesday.

WHEN:

  Wednesday, January 3, 2007
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    The MIT $100 Laptop

  PRESENTED BY:
    Edward Cherlin

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
     The MIT $100 laptop being made and marketed by One Laptop Per Child
(laptop.org) is the center of the largest charitable and human rights
programs in history, and the largest Free Software project focused on
education. Ed will briefly describe the planned hardware and software,
and then talk about the way the program is intended to work, how you
can join in, and some of the likely results. Questions and suggestions
welcome.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Edward Cherlin is a generalist and activist who has organized an
anti-spam organization, led development of free APL software, and won
a Korean classical music contest as a Peace Corps Volunteer. When he
wrote a guide to the Internet almost fifteen years ago, there were
three questions he couldn't answer: 1. How to get rid of spam; 2. How
to display all the languages on the Web correctly; 3. How to get the
rest of the world on the Net. Now that we have answers, Ed feels like
a character in a John Brunner novel.

NIFTY OF THE MONTH:

  To be announced.

LOCATION:

  Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.shtml

  webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

MEETING REFRESHMENTS:

  Open Country (http://www.opencountry.com/) will be graciously providing
  refreshments for this meeting.

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

Mark Weisler