[svlug-announce] SVLUG Oct 5th meeting: Patrick McGovern, "Splunk" [speaker/topic change!]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Oct 5 00:35:03 PDT 2005

The Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) meets this week in Mountain View.

NOTICE: The previously-scheduled speaker was forced to cancel, and an
alternate speaker was found at the last minute.
See below for the updated details:

WHEN:

  Tonight!
  Wednesday, October 5, 2005
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    Splunk

  SPEAKER:
    Patrick McGovern

  BACKGROUND:
    Splunk, based in San Francisco, makes a web-based AJAX-enhanced search
    engine that allows system administrators and programmers to search all
    their incoming log files in real time (any type of log files: Sendmail,
    Cisco, MySQL, syslog, etc.) with a Google-like interface.   It's a
    powerful tool to allow people to 'see' inside their systems as they
    are running.

  ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
    Prior to joining Splunk, Patrick McGovern managed SourceForge.net for
    five years for VA Software / OSTG.

NIFTY OF THE MONTH:

  Ian Kluft will demonstrate video playback on Linux.

LOCATION:

  Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.shtml

  webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

Bill Kendrick
Frazzled Speaker Coordinator
Silicon Valley Linux Users Group