[svlug-announce] SVLUG Aug 3rd meeting: Christian Hammond, "Galago, desktop notifications, IM"; plus, "screen"

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Jul 31 16:02:16 PDT 2005

The Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) meets this week in Mountain View:

WHEN:

  Wednesday, August 3, 2005
  7pm-9pm or so.

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    Galago, desktop notifications, IM

  SPEAKER:
    Christian Hammond,
    GNUpdate Project and Gaim

  BACKGROUND:
    Galago [ http://www.galago.info/about.php ] is a desktop presence
    framework, designed to transmit presence information between
    programs.  To put it in simpler terms, it takes information on who is
    online and their away/idle states from an instant messenger (such as
    gaim) or other similar programs and lets other programs (such as
    Ximian's Evolution) to make use of it.

    The advantage of such a framework is that it brings your programs
    closer together.  When you receive an e-mail from a friend who is in
    your buddy list, you'll be able to immediately tell their online
    status, for example.

    Galago is desktop-neutral, and will in time provide easy to use
    widgets for Gtk+ and Qt applications.  Currently, Gtk+ widgets are
    available in our Subversion repository under the module name
    libgalago-gtk.  Qt widgets will be available in time.

NIFTY OF THE MONTH:

  This month's "Nifty" topic will be "screen":

    Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a
    physical terminal between several processes (typically
    interactive shells).  Each virtual terminal provides the
    functions of a DEC VT100 terminal and, in addition, several
    other standard control functions.

    There is a scroll-back history buffer for each virtual terminal
    and a copy-and-paste mechanism that allows moving text regions
    between windows.

LOCATION:

  Veritas Software Corp.
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.shtml

  webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

Bill Kendrick
Speaker Coordinator
Silicon Valley Linux Users Group