[svlug-announce] SVLUG Mar 03: Guido van Rossum: An Introduction to Python

stevegt at svlug.org stevegt at svlug.org
Wed Feb 25 22:25:52 PST 2004

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of the Silicon Valley Linux
Users Group!

WHAT:

  An Introduction to Python

WHEN:

  Wednesday, 03 Mar, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:

  Guido van Rossum, Creator of Python

BACKGROUND:

  Python is one of the major free scripting languages -- an
  interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language,
  often compared to Perl, Scheme, Java, or Ruby.  Python's syntax is
  intentionally clean, easy to learn, and powerful.

  Major uses of Python on Linux include the Zope web application
  server, the Mailman mailing list server (which you're receiving this
  through), and the RedHat Anaconda installer.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

  Guido van Rossum created Python in the early 1990s at CWI in
  Amsterdam, and he is still actively involved in the development of
  the language.

  In 1995 he moved to the US; first to work for CNRI in Reston, VA as
  a researcher, then for Zope Corporation as Director of PythonLabs,
  and since 2003, after a move to the SF bay area, for Elemental
  Security.

  His home on the web is http://www.python.org/~guido/.

WHERE:

Cisco Building 9.  The land of NUMBERS.  The VINEYARDS conference
center.  The side we are on is the Silver Oak/Jordan conference rooms,
where a large Cisco fountain is usually not turned on.  Directions on
how to get there are listed at:

        http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml

We've tried our very best for these directions to be accurate.  If you
have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team know!
web-team at svlug.org

NOTES:

It's best if you arrive close to on time, as otherwise there may not
be someone posted at the door to let you in.  After the speakers end
their presentation there is usually a Q&A session, time for job
seekers and employers to meet, and often a few door prizes.  When the
meeting is over people are encouraged to chat a bit, but also to exit
the building so Cisco can lock up.  Don't worry, a lot of us go to
dinner afterward so there's plenty of time to chat outdoors or
offsite.