[svlug-announce] SVLUG Meeting, Wed May 1st, 2002

Steve Traugott stevegt at TerraLuna.Org
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 17:44:26 -0700

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of the Silicon Valley Linux
Users Group!

WHAT:

	Switched Storage for Linux

WHEN:

	Wednesday, May 1, 2002, 7pm-9pm or so

WHO:

	Pete Kisich and Pat Pejack, 3ware, Inc.

BACKGROUND:

   Founded in 1997, 3ware, Inc. applies network packet switching to PCI
   ATA/IDE storage controllers, with Serial ATA and iSCSI on the way.

   By using ATA drives in place of SCSI drives, storage costs are
   significantly reduced while 3ware's StorSwitch architecture increases
   the performance beyond that of the Ultra SCSI 160. Recently, with the
   introduction of 160GB drives from Maxtor, 3ware has broken the
   terabyte limit on a single 64 bit PCI card. This, coupled with 3ware's
   open source Linux driver, allows Linux system builders to create
   multi-terabyte systems for under a penny per MB, while getting the
   performance and features (such as hot swap and hot spare) users have
   come to expect in more expensive SCSI and Fibre Channel solutions.

ABOUT THE SPEAKERS:

   Pete Kisich, Sr. Systems Engineer

   Pete Kisich has over 10 years experience in system engineering and
   storage architecture. Previous to 3ware, he was Manager of the
   Platform Engineering group at Wells Fargo Bank. As a Sr. Storage
   Architect at StorageNetworks, Pete was part of the team which built
   the largest Global Storage Infrastructure in the world. He has worked
   extensively in SAN, NAS, and iSCSI storage networks in enterprise
   environments.

   Pat Pejack, Sr. Applications Engineer

   Pat has over 12 years experience in RAID and I/O Storage applications
   and technology. Previous to 3ware, Pat was a Sr. Field applications
   engineer at Adaptec where he gained over 10 years experience in RAID,
   SCSI, Fibre Channel, ATA, and Firewire storage applications.

WHERE:

Cisco Building 9.  The land of NUMBERS. The VINEYARDS conference
center.  The side we are on is the Silver Oak/Jordan conference rooms,
where a large Cisco fountain is usually not turned on.  Directions on
how to get there are listed at:

        http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml

We've tried our very best for these directions to be accurate.  If you
have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team know!
web-team@svlug.org

NOTES:

It's best if you arrive close to on time, as otherwise there may not
be someone posted at the door to let you in.  After the speakers end
their presentation there is usually a Q&A session, time for job
seekers and employers to meet, and often a few door prizes.  When the
meeting is over people are encouraged to chat a bit, but also to exit
the building so Cisco can lock up. Don't worry, a lot of us go to
dinner afterward so there's plenty of time to chat outdoors or
offsite.

We look forward to seeing you there!