[svlug-announce] REMINDER> SVLUG meeting tonight (Wed): Marty Hellman (cryptography)

Tom Geller svlug@tgeller.com
Wed Nov 7 09:12:01 2001

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of SVLUG, this evening (Wednesday).

WHEN:
   Wednesday, 7 November, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:
   Martin E. Hellman
   Professor Emeritus of Electrical Engineering
   Stanford University

ABOUT:
   In his 1976 paper that introduced public key cryptography
   ("New Directions in Cryptography"), Whit Diffie and Dr.
   Hellman wrote: "We stand today on the brink of a revolution
   in cryptography." As with most revolutions, there was also
   an evolutionary process that culminated in the revolution.
   That evolutionary process is easier to see in hindsight, and
   will be the subject of this talk. The talk also gives credit
   to some of the individuals whose work is often overlooked,
   but whose contributions were clearer to those working
   in the early days of the field.

WHERE:
   Cisco Building 9.
   http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml

           Tom Geller  *  San Francisco * tgeller.com
  Speaker Coordinator, Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (svlug.org)
        Current: tgeller.com, spamcon.org, bandwidthpr.com
      Obsolete: suespammers.org, openppc.org, popcomputers.com
   SpamCon Foundation Member, #1: Verify at http://www.spamcon.org