[svlug-announce] SVLUG meeting Wed, 7 November, 7 pm.: Marty Hellman (cryptography)

Tom Geller svlug@tgeller.com
Sat Nov 3 10:43:01 2001

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of SVLUG, this coming Wednesday.

WHEN:
   Wednesday, 7 November, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:
   Martin E. Hellman
   Professor Emeritus of Electrical Engineering
   Stanford University

ABOUT:
   In his 1976 paper that introduced public key cryptography
   ("New Directions in Cryptography"), Whit Diffie and Dr.
   Hellman wrote: "We stand today on the brink of a revolution
   in cryptography." As with most revolutions, there was also
   an evolutionary process that culminated in the revolution.
   That evolutionary process is easier to see in hindsight, and
   will be the subject of this talk. The talk also gives credit
   to some of the individuals whose work is often overlooked,
   but whose contributions were clearer to those of us working
   in the early days of the field.

MORE ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
   Martin E. Hellman was a researcher at IBM's Watson
   Research Center from 1968-69 and an Assistant Professor at
   MIT from 1969-71. He returned to Stanford in 1971, where he
   served on the regular faculty until becoming Professor
   Emeritus in 1996.
     Prof. Hellman is best known for his invention, with Diffie
   and Merkle, of public key cryptography. Prof. Hellman has
   also been a long-time contributor to the computer privacy
   debate, starting with DES' key size in 1975 and culminating
   with service (1994-96) on the National Research Council's
   Committee to Study National Cryptographic Policy, many of
   whose recommendations have since been implemented.
     Prof. Hellman also has a deep interest in the ethics of
   technological development, and has received several honors
   in this field. He has been involved with a number of
   high-tech startups over the last twenty-five years, serving
   as a founder, advisor, and investor. In his spare time, he
   enjoys people, soaring, and hiking. He and his wife of 33
   years, Dorothie, reside on the Stanford campus.

WHERE:
   Cisco Building 9.
   The land of NUMBERS. The VINEYARDS conference center.
   The side we are on is the Silver Oak/Jordan conference rooms,
   where a large Cisco fountain is usually not turned on.
   http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml
   If you have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team
   know! web-team@svlug.org

NOTES:
   It's best if you arrive close to on time, as otherwise
   there may not be someone posted at the door to let you in.
     After the speakers end their presentation there is usually
   a Q&A session, time for job seekers and employers to meet,
   and often a few door prizes.
     When the meeting is over people are encouraged to chat a bit,
   but also to exit the building so Cisco can lock up.  Don't
   worry, a lot of us go to dinner afterward so there's plenty
   of time to chat outdoors or offsite.

           Tom Geller  *  San Francisco * tgeller.com
  Speaker Coordinator, Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (svlug.org)
        Current: tgeller.com, spamcon.org, bandwidthpr.com
      Obsolete: suespammers.org, openppc.org, popcomputers.com
   SpamCon Foundation Member, #1: Verify at http://www.spamcon.org