[Smaug] Meetings, Felton and Capitola

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 2 21:10:52 PST 2011

Quoting Peter Belew (peterbe at sonic.net):

> Hi all -
>
> This Saturday there will be a Felton LUG meeting at the Firehouse in
> Felton, at 2 pm until around 6 pm. Larry Cafiero will be talking about
> the latest Ubuntu, 11.10. Perhaps he will help make sense out of Unity
> and Gnome 3, maybe even the Kubuntu. I personally think they are all
> awful, but maybe Larry will make some converts. I think that Xubuntu
> isn't bad, and have tried Lubuntu, which is a separate project for a
> lighter-weight desktop.

LXDE is indeed a nice lightweight 'Desktop Environment'.

If you're bound and determined to run a DE, you should (please) not
forget Enlightenment (current release E17), which has over the past
decade-plus not only matured but also become lightweight and high
performance.

See, for starters:
http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/10/q-with-enlightenment-lead-developer.html

I hope you don't limit yourself to software blessed by Mark
Shuttleworth, for heaven's sake.  Linux is a whole lot bigger than that.

On the other hand, you could start with Bodhi Linux, which is an Ubuntu
derivative based on Enlightenment.  ;->  http://www.bodhilinux.com/

(Man, how far we've fallen, that so many people think the only possible
choices are *buntu or Fedora, and everyone forgets that there's nothing
all that automatically useful or compelling about a Desktop Environment
and that one can do also just fine with None of the Above, i.e., just
one's choice of window manager and zero DE bloat.)