[Smaug] An echo of Ubuntu 4.04 "Warty Warthog"

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Wed Oct 5 16:19:21 PDT 2011

Mark Shuttleworth will be going back to another animal from his native southern Africa: Ubuntu "Precise Pangolin" 12.04 LTS in the Spring of next year.

  http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/784

Here's info about pangolins:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

Among the species listed, I'm pretty sure what Mark was tracking in the Kalahari Desert was a "Ground pangolin".

If you have any anthills to wipe out, a pet pangolin would be perfect -

Ubuntu 11.10 will be out NEXT Thursday evening, in theory - most likely the official release will show up on Friday. Xubuntu, now my favorite, should be there too; don't know about the even-lighter version, Lubuntu, which seems to be a separate project.

Peter

PS: I may show up at tomorrow evening's meeting - is anyone else coming? I would definitely be leaving around 8:45 at the latest, though.

Also, please speak up if another day or time would be better for you.

Note: Mr Toots has a lift (elevator) for people with disabilities, with or without chair, to the right of the stairway going up to the landing on the right side of the restaurant. To the right of the door there is a switch for bringing the lift down to ground level, if it isn't there already. Inside there are 3 switches for moving it to the basement (another venue), ground floor, or the landing outside Mr Toots. You have to hold the appropriate switch in position to move the lift. It's a bit dark in the lift, so when entering from the sidewalk, hold the door open while looking at the switches (and be sure to close the door once you want to move!). The lift is only allowed to carry ONE person at a time.

  That's why you have a Linux/BSD/UNIX server for backups.

  SMAUG:        http://scruz.org/
  My Web:       http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
  UBUNTU:       https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal
		http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/