[Smaug] Thursday approaches

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Wed Jun 8 14:28:07 PDT 2011

Once again we'll be meeting at Mr Toots in Capitola tomorrow night.

   http://tootscoffee.com/

... at 7:30 pm as usual.

The alpha-1 release of Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" is also scheduled for tomorrow. I encourage everyone to download it and try it. Be sure to register with Launchpad and report problems:

  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Note:

  o It doesn't support Gnome, or if it does, it does so badly.
  o Canonica's new 'Unity' is the default user interface.
  o It will eventually support Gnome 3
  o https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2011-May/033300.html
  o https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2011-May/033299.html

There have been daily builds, and there will presumably continue to be such. Bugs seem to come and go from day to day. I was able to create my own user login and switch to Gnome 2 in the persistent file I created on my USB stick a few days ago, then trying that to work yesterday resulted in a basically unbootable USB.

Unity is very clumsy for doing serious work beyond web browsing - there seems to be no mechanism for creating icons on the lefthand vertical 'start' bar, and the icon for bringing up a screenful of app. icons requires scrolling to get to, an a netbook. There seems to be no mechanism for creating a personalize graphical list of favorite apps, so far, though there is a fairly random mechanism for showing frequently-used apps at the top.

To change workspaces, the best way is to use the keyboard - ctrl-alt-arrow, as with Gnome.

Hopefully, Gnome-3 will come out and be useable at the planned time, in time to be integrated properly in the final 11.10 product.

I'll bring a USB stick or two, MAYbe a CD too.

See you tomorrow night! I may be a bit late, as I have other stuff going on in the late afternoon.

Peter Belew

  That's why you have a Linux/BSD/UNIX server for backups.

  SMAUG:        http://scruz.org/
  My Web:       http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
  UBUNTU:       11.04 28 April 2011
		https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal