[Smaug] Access to scruz.org was DNS problem.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 19 10:13:42 PDT 2011

Quoting Jay Campbell (jay at got.net):

> DNS at Got.net is no problem. I'll start a ticket now.

scruz.org can use as many as four more.  DNS is now robust at three.
(RFC recommendation is no fewer than three, no more than seven, with at
least one physically and network-remote from the others.[1])

$ whois scruz.org | grep "Name Server"
Name Server:NS1.SCRUZ.ORG
Name Server:NS1.SVLUG.ORG
Name Server:NS7.SCRUZ.ORG
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
[rick at linuxmafia]
~ $ dig -t ns scruz.org @ns1.scruz.org +short
ns6.scruz.org.
ns1.scruz.org.
ns1.svlug.org.
ns3.scruz.org.
ns7.scruz.org.

The in-zone, not-yet-authoritative entries in the latter listing for
ns6.scruz.org. and ns3.scruz.org. are for two of the three ex-providers
I'm still waiting to hear back from.  They'll be purged in a few days if
I've still heard nothing from those guys.

[1] I notice that got.net uses only _two_ for its own domain.  You might
want to fix that.  Reference: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2182#section-5