[Smaug] Web site, DNS, organization

Peter Belew abcruzww at gmail.com
Wed May 18 19:54:53 PDT 2011

As I see it: here's a web site, set up by people who none of the
people that attend SMAUG meetings know, with secondary DNS entrusted
to ditto. The web side is a Drupal site with bits and pieces belonging
to such absentee members. No disparagement meant, but it would really
would make sense for it to be run by Santa Cruz area people who
actually are in contact with either, either in person or on the
Internet.

Various secondary DNS servers seem to have belonged to various people
who have "flown the coop" - I used to know Eric Cain, for example,
when he was at UCSC, but I don't know where he is now.

The web site should be on a local ISP's server, which provides primary
DNS for it. Got.net could do it, but I suspect that cruzio might be
better. The limitations of the web site are frustrating - there are
parts that are out of date and not controllable by active members.

Either all of that should change, or we in Santa Cruz should simply
secede and form our own group.

Peter Belew

That's why you have a UNIX or Linux or BSD server for backups.

SMAUG: http://scruz.org/
My Web:http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
UBUNTU:11.04 28 April 2011
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal