[Smaug] Access to scruz.org was DNS problem.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 18 19:27:47 PDT 2011

Quoting Jeremiah Daniels (daniels.jeremiah at gmail.com):

> I noticed the site is hosted on a Got.Net host, wouldn't they provide
> free name service since it's hosted there?
>
> I thought they did that, I am sure they would free of charge for cool
> kids like SMAUG!

I believe Jay Campbell <jay at got.net> (CC'd) was good enough to build
Smaug's current Drupal site (early 2006?) and get it set up free of
charge at Got.net.

Yay, Got.net!  Got.net has been a friend of open source and Linux for a
long time, and was where SCLUG met, back in the day.

Jay, if you're still there and if got.net is willing to provide
secondary (slave) DNS nameservice for the scruz.org domain, please
let me know the IPs, and I'll add them to the allow-transfer ACL on
master nameserver NS1.SCRUZ.ORG, IP 198.144.195.186 (mine).

This is _not_ any urgent need.  Although we discovered today that all
four of our secondaries silently vanished[1], I'm re-adding one of them
at its new IP and furnishing a second of my own.  So, we will
immediately have three good nameservers, which suffices for best
practices.  Also, it's possible that the three other vanished
nameservers might be offered again, so that's up to six total
(possibly), without new ones.

[1] Details:  http://lists.svlug.org/archives/smaug/2011q2/002656.html