[Smaug] (forw) Domain updates for Smaug's scruz.org, which you own

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 18 19:16:27 PDT 2011

Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 19:15:33 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Crawford Rainwater <crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com>
Subject: Domain updates for Smaug's scruz.org, which you own

Hi, Crawford.  On behalf of the Smaug Linux user group in Santa Cruz,
California, thank you for keeping its scruz.org domain registered.
(You are picking up the tab and are Registrant.  You have its
registration at Domain Discover.)  Also as a reminder, I'm sysadmin of
the master nameserver for that domain (NS1.SCRUZ.ORG, better known as
NS1.LINUXMAFIA.COM).

I would appreciate a couple of updates to the authoritative nameserver
roster at Domain Discover.  To make a long story short, it turns out
that all four secondaries vanished on us.  One simply shut us off and
didn't tell us.  Two moved their nameservers to new IPs _and_ turned us
off, and didn't tell us.  One (apparently) shut down _all_ nameservice
and didn't tell us.

Please remove from the authoritative roster:

NS2.SCRUZ.ORG   IP 207.7.137.130
NS3.SCRUZ.ORG   IP 68.165.1.187
NS4.SCRUZ.ORG   IP 74.95.202.57
NS5.SCRUZ.ORG   IP 64.34.174.102

Please add to the authoritative roster:

NS7.SCRUZ.ORG   IP 209.237.247.49
NS1.SVLUG.ORG   IP 64.62.190.98

You may need to use a feature in the Domain Discover Web interface to
'create' those nameservers (which makes glue records for them in the
.org parent zone), before you're allowed to add them to the domain's
authoritative roster.

I am still waiting to hear from three of the four guys in question, and
will probably have update 2 of 2 for you to make after I hear from them.
Sorry about the inconvenience.  The reason I'm not waiting and sending
you one request with everything is that the above change takes us from
one functioning nameserver only (mine) to three, immediately,
eliminating the single point of failure.

Thanks again on behalf of Smaug.

(To my knowledge, I don't have domain admin access to the record at
Domain Discover, otherwise I wouldn't be bothering you.)

----- End forwarded message -----