[Smaug] Fwd: [Felton LUG] Natty Narwhal at the next Felton LUG meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 10 15:41:09 PDT 2011

Quoting Peter Belew (abcruzww at gmail.com):

> Thanks for that, Rick.
>
> BTW, what do you think of the idea of setting up this list so that
> replies go to the list by default, instead of to the original sender.

I think (1) that you should read my footnote and visit its URL [1],
(2) that you risk springing onto the Smaug mailing lists one of the most
infamous and obnoxious of all flamewars, and (3) that I won't bother to
block you from making that mailing list administrative error on
smaug at lists.svlug.org, but will mention that Marc Merlin's cronjobs that
keep SVLUG's mailing list server functional will automatically un-do
(repair) your change, no matter how often you do it.

> I think a number of people on this list have been assuming that the
> default "R" (or whatever) is going to send their response to the list,
> so conversations get broken.

I think a number of people need to learn the difference between
their mail software's reply-sender and reply-all functions.  Nobody's
born knowing how to use the Internet, so learning experiences are
inevitable.

It used to be claimed that commonly used mail clients couldn't do this
separation of functionality between in-forum and off-forum replying
correctly.  That is no longer the case, so that excuse no longer flies.

[1] Here you go:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=netiquette#replyto