[Smaug] Fwd: [Felton LUG] Natty Narwhal at the next Felton LUG meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 10 15:08:03 PDT 2011

Quoting Peter Belew (abcruzww at gmail.com):

> I've installed Natty on all my 686-compatible machines, and find that
> it works well. I use Gnome on all of them, since most of my display
> hardware is old; also, I find I can work better programming under
> Gnome that under Ubuntu's new desktop, even on my netbook.

You know, saying Unity's a bit bloated because GNOME Shell is smaller is
like saying Abe Vigoda's too old for this part, so let's cast Hal
Holbrook.  ;->

GNOME with Unity does seem a real standard-bearer for bloat, but GNOME
with GNOME Shell, KDE, and XFCE4 remain only a short step behind them.
Usually it's RAM that's the limiting factor, so if you have less than
half a gig, IMO you should consider None of the Above.

For some people, that means LXDE.  For others such as yr. humble
servant, we prefer no 'Desktop Environment' regardless of how much RAM
we have.  E.g., the workstation in front of me is a 2005-era 3.20GHz
P4 with 2 GB RAM, and it runs Window Maker by preference.

That can be achieved pretty easily even on the *buntus:  Just remove
/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager, install the window manager of your
choice, do 'update-alternatives --config x-window-manager' to make sure
it's default, and then reboot or stop the unwanted 'desktop' services.

--
Rick Moen             "Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward?
rick at linuxmafia.com   That's the trouble with time travel - you never can tell."