[Smaug] Dawn of Personal computing: West Coast Computer Faire

Steve Kudlak izelatlan at yahoo.ca
Tue Apr 19 20:45:25 PDT 2011

When I showed in California after being invited by a friend who I met over the
Arpanet to come here.   We went to the 2nd West Coast Computer  Faire  in  San
Jose. We passed a  Movie Marque and translating the Spanish as if it were Latin
I got "The Awful Bad Ones and their Evil Nasty Accomplices."  I became involved
with this thing called PCNET which was to sort of be one of those great ideas
that kind of went nowhere but which the dreams of which were achieved via other
means. That is the ARPANET provided the basis for the Internet which became a
public resource. The early years this was not foreseen. In fact it was my
refusal to remove the PCNET directory from MIT-MC that got me involved in many
interesting things. One of the saddest things and this is a bit un-PC was the
demise of the People's Computer Company after it was turned over to a secretary
who became CEO and then turned into a rather nasty person and drove away
everyone who could have done the place some good.  Note well it sort of has a
kind of ghostly existence.

Curiously the ARPANET which produced the INTERNET Protocol did produce the thing
that brought computer access to the public. So that much has been good.  So the
next time people on the right make noise about the glories of provate enterprise
they should be reminded that it isn't always so. The commercial competitors in
the realm of networking were pretty awful TYMnet had some features but the whole
"sleeping pill trick" often failed badly. I get a giggle about the highspeed
56Kbaud backbone link that one could go to a building in Cupertino and show
people.  That a 300 Meg disks the size of washing machines! Giggle!;)

Have Fun,
Sends Steve