[Smaug] Fwd: Dawn of Personal computing: West Coast Computer Faire

Peter Belew abcruzww at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 17:32:51 PDT 2011

(This should have been sent to the list, not to me).

In the pre-computer days, through the '90s, there was Haltek in Mt
View as well. Even earlier, definitely before microprocessors, there
was also Red Johnson Electronics, not far from where the Palo Alto.
Fry's is now, half a block or so from El Camino. I used to haunt those
places when I was in high school, many decades ago. Also there was a
surplus electronics place on El Camino in San Carlos, where I found a
low-power klystron from a radar receiver, with the associated I.F.
strip, which I experimented with. Halted was a bit farther away from
where I lived, so I got a ride there from a family friend who helped
me out with electronics (all tubes then!) and math.

Peter Belew