[Smaug] Meeting, Ubuntu 11.04 beta 2, plug computers

Peter Belew abcruzww at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 11:23:16 PDT 2011

I would say that the Beta-2 version is up-to-date enough to install in
other than mission-critical systems. I hadn't turned my old laptop on
for 2 weeks, and there were over 500 packages updated or
newly-installed as of yesterday or the day before. But now the rate
doesn't seem to be so much.

One thing I would like to point out for those people who just want to
try out the system using a live USB stick. If you don't like the
default Unity desktop, you can use the Login Screen Settings app to
select that for the next boot - if you have allocated space for saved
settings on the USB stick, that will be stored on the USB stick for
the next boot.

Also, the Ubuntu Tweak app can be obtained to set the logo and
background for the login screen. I've set my logo to be the Manx flag,
since Canonical is incorporated on the Isle of Man. And the background
is a photo of a pod of narwhals.