[Smaug] Meeting, Ubuntu 11.04 beta 2, plug computers

Peter Belew abcruzww at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 23:33:38 PDT 2011

Well, officially the Natty release is at the end of this month. Beta 2
(today's version) is looking fairly good, so the release on 28 April
should be pretty stable.

The next LTS release will be in April 2012, with point releases every
half year or so. The latest 10.04 is 10.04.2, as of a month or so ago.
I have that running on a couple of computers, it's very stable.

I just have an old laptop with 11.04 installed (updated frequently
through today). That works much better than any previous release on
that laptop, mainly because the OpenChrome display driver needed for
it finally got fixed a couple of months ago, after a couple of years
of work by an Ubuntu guy in Poland and the OpenChrome developers.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Anthony Ettinger <anthony at chovy.com> wrote:
> Any idea when Ubuntu 11.x will be released as stable? I'm about to
> install 10.x latest but maybe I should wait, since it isn't a critical
> desktop, just a backup to use once in awhile.
>

> Anthony
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Peter Belew <peterbe at sonic.net> wrote:
>> See you all at the meeting tomorrow at 7:30 pm.
>>
>> Tomorrow is the beta-2 release date for Ubuntu 11.04 natty narwhal. The current daily build should pretty close to the official beta-2 one. There are some kernel changes that are frozen for the final release (in 2 weeks) but they may not appear in the beta-2 builds.
>>
>>  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
>>  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/
>>
>> Here's a link regarding Saturday's talk on Plug Computers at the Felton LUG (I think I posted this earlier, but here it is again):
>>
>>  http://shallowsky.com/plugs/
>>
>> Also
>>
>>  http://www.arduino.cc/
>>
>> Till tomorrow,
>>
>>  Peter
>>
>> --
>>  It's completely normal that you lose data on "Windows" platforms.
>>  That's why you have a Linux/BSD/UNIX server for backups.
>>
>>  SMAUG:        http://scruz.org/
>>  My Web:       http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
>>  UBUNTU:       10.10 10 October 2010
>>                https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx
>>  SuSE:         http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_11.2

> --
> Anthony Ettinger
> http://anthony.ettinger.name
> anthony at ettinger.name
> +1 (831) 406-1123

That's why you have a UNIX or Linux or BSD server for backups.

SMAUG: http://scruz.org/
My Web:http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
UBUNTU:11.04 28 April 2011
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal