[Smaug] Mark Shuttleworth as Big Brother

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Sat Aug 14 22:28:05 PDT 2010

Canonical now has a package which provides them a census of systems using recent versions of Ubuntu.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/08/10/0319243/Canonical-Begins-Tracking-Ubuntu-Installations?from=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2FslashdotLinux+%28Slashdot%3A+Linux%29

Unsurprisingly, this package is called 'canonical-census'.

I think it's a good idea to install it, especially if you have a fairly unusual or old system. I would expect that to encourage Canonical to support your hardware with future releases of Ubuntu.

Peter Belew

  That's why you have a Linux/BSD/UNIX server for backups.

  SMAUG:        http://scruz.org/
  My Web:       http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
  UBUNTU:       10.04 LTS April 2010
		https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx