[Smaug] Another week, more Debian for me

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Tue Jul 20 17:04:39 PDT 2010

See you all Thursday at 7:30 pm at Cafe Pergolesi.

I'm in the middle of my 3rd Debian lenny install on older computers.

On the VIA C3 systems, the system shuts off completely for the first time when I exit from Linux. That never worked with any version of Ubuntu. And since Ubuntu is going to drop support for < i686 systems, it's time to make the change, anyway.

My old laptop is still happy with Fedora 13, so I'll keep that. I did try the Debian lenny live CD on it, and it worked pretty well.

I just found this on Linux Forums -> Slashdot ... Dell's brief page on Ubuntu vs Linux.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/windows_or_ubuntu?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

I think what the Ubuntu version is running is the Moblin Remix version of Ubuntu. I definitely do NOT recommend getting ANY computer with MOBLIN or any version of Ubuntu modified for DELL - it has serious wifi problems. I finally installed a standard netbook version of Ubuntu on a friend's dell netbook, solving his wifi problems.

My Dell netbook runs the normal Ubuntu Lucid 10.04, and that's fine too.

Peter

  That's why you have a Linux/BSD/UNIX server for backups.

  SMAUG:        http://scruz.org/
  My Web:       http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
  UBUNTU:       10.04 LTS April 2010
		https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx