[Smaug] Cafe Pergolesi again?

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Sat Jul 3 20:54:04 PDT 2010

Hi all -

Shall we meet at Cafe Pergolesi again this coming Thursday? Then we can discuss the pros and cons of continuing to meet there.

We had a good meeting, I think, and I liked the place. People liked the music, not too opressively loud, and the general ambience was fine.

The only downside is that there was some problem with wifi connections dropping. This is something I used to experience on the UCSC campus a year or two ago, until I finally got some IT people there to run a scan while I was trying to stay connected. Apparently their observations helped them resolve the problem with their Cisco access points, so I've had no such problem since. On the other hand, the resolution may be due to improvements in the software on my Ubuntu systems.

One thing we could do, given time, is to survey the various hotspots downtown, and what sort of establishments they are located in. There's a map of Cruzio hotspots on the Cruzio web site, but there are others which are connected to cable services, too.

I submitted a brief report to Cruzio just now, regarding our connection problems at Pergolesi - hopefully they will look at the problem. (I submitted it as a Cruzio subscriber, by the way).

Peter Belew
  That's why you have a Linux/BSD/UNIX server for backups.

  SMAUG:        http://scruz.org/
  My Web:       http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
  UBUNTU:       10.04 LTS April 2010
		https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx