[Smaug] Meeting tonight, and news

Peter Belew abcruzww at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 16:28:21 PST 2009

Ooohh, I hate it when my disk is full of Bengali and Georgian fonts,
etc, etc, which is fine for people who need those but a waste of space
for those who don't.

I would start by actually deleting a log of stuff.

Look under /usr/share/locale - delete directories for languages you don't need.

look for .ttf fonts, type 1 fonts, etc, under

/usr/share/fonts , /var/lib ... places like:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/thai/
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-arabeyes/
/var/lib/defoma/gs.d/dirs/fonts/
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/
/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/

leave the X11 fonts!

delete fonts which are obviously not for a language you use.

Hopefully, that will free some space.

THEN run Synaptic and search around for font packages and locale
packages to delete, and delete them.

Hopefully you will have enough space to update the system.

Question - was this a notebook version of Ubuntu, to start with, or a
'normal' desktop version? I would think the notebook version would be
a bit slimmer, maybe not.

As for me, I'll remember to get a notebook with a real hard disk, when
and if I ever get one.

Hopefully, someone else may have a simpler way to do this. Maybe
someone will come out with an app that prunes down the system to the
fonts and locales a user actually needs.

Peter