[Smaug] That name 'SuSE' and how to pronounce it

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 13 02:24:52 PST 2009

Quoting Grant Bowman (grantbow at gmail.com):

> It's a (c) product name now

I suspect you mean "(R)".  Trademark, not copyright.

> For the open source version and Novell versions the only current way
> to spell it is openSUSE and SUSE per Joe Brockmeier and per
> www.novell.com.

For whatever it's worth, over at _Linux Gazette_ magazine, policy from the
copyeditors (headed by yrs. truly) is that we politely ignore and
correct funny-looking lettercase within company and product names.  So,
we correct CorelDRAW! to CorelDraw, nVIDIA to Nvidia, and openSUSE to
OpenSUSE.  Not that we have anything against creative marketing people.
<grin>