[Smaug] That name 'SuSE' and how to pronounce it

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 13 02:17:00 PST 2009

Quoting Peter Belew (peterbe at sonic.net):

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_Linux_distributions#The_origins
>
>   The name "S.u.S.E" was originally a German acronym for "Software und
>   System-Entwicklung", meaning "Software and systems development", a
>   name not so original for a software company. However, the full name
>   has never been used and the company has always been known as
>   "S.u.S.E", later shortened to "SuSE" in October 1998.

Some time after that, they changed it officially to SUSE.

> So "SuSE" is pronounced like ZOO-suh. The two S-es are pronounced differently.

English-speaking SUSE/Novell employees in the USA have always tended to
pronounce it "SOO-suh".  I used to visit the former comprehensive
storefront office they had in North Oakland fairly frequently, circa
1997-8.  (These days, they have only a very small sales-only office in
West Oakland.)

I _think_ that even the German-national employees there
(English-speaking, but with obvious accents) so pronounced it, back in
the day -- but that was a long time ago, so I couldn't say for sure.