[Smaug] Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Sat Oct 31 14:12:49 PST 2009

I am doing an upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 "Karmic Koala" on a couple of
systems this way (see http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading)

Download the alternate installation CD - ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386.iso
Either burn the ISO to a CD and put that in the system to be updated,
or mount the ISO image as follows:

  sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-9.10-alternate-i386.iso /media/cdrom0

  (Alter that to suit the location where you downloaded the ISO)

A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade using
that CD. If it doesn't appear (likely if you mounted the ISO instead of
inserting an actual disk), you may also run the following command
using Alt+F2:

  gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Or in Kubuntu run the following command using Alt+F2:

  kdesudo "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Then follow the instructions which pop up. You will have the choice to
install only what's on the release CD, or to install updates from the
Internet as well.

As an aside, after all the trouble I've had with the PC card slot on my
laptop, my alternate name for this release is "Destroying Dropbear 9.10".
MAYbe some Canonical or Launchpad person will take interest in fixing
that problem, but, that hasn't happened yet. Maybe that will happen
in a 9.10 update, maybe in 10.04 LTS, which is appearing as an alpha
next month. :)

- Peter

  That's why you have a Linux/BSD/UNIX server for backups.

  SMAUG:        http://scruz.org/
  My Web:       http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
  UBUNTU:       9.10 release on Oct 29! http://www.ubuntu.com/