[Smaug] Fedora 12 Beta now available

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 29 15:19:15 PST 2009

Quoting Peter Belew (abcruzww at gmail.com):

> Good points - DSL and Puppy. I need to figure out UpStart and so on ...

Just checking:  I hope my point is not lost that you should -not- regard
yourself as limited to the likes of Puppy Linux, DamnSmallLinux, and
AntiX, for no better reason than having an older CPU and only (say)
128-256 MB -- or even 64 MB -- of total RAM.

To the contrary, I was saying that this perception, that midget Linux
distributions are the only way to go on older and lower-RAM boxen, is an
unfortunate artifact of many Linux users' really, really bad assumption
that they are "done" when the distro installer finishes -- that it's
not useful and necessary to further tailor what _actually runs_ to meet
the owner's needs.

So, if one bothers to take charge of _runing what one wants_, instead of
just leaving the default installation completely unchanged, exactly the
way it shipped out the box, then one can use a broad range of real,
non-midget Linux distributions.  And those are (with all due respect to
some excellent work on Puppy and kin) a great deal less limiting.