[Smaug] I tried the F12 beta live CD

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Thu Oct 29 14:41:25 PST 2009

I just tried the Fedora 12 beta (really 11.92) on a couple of systems.

1) On my gBox computer, it booted fine with a couple of warning messages during bootup. It came up in 800x600 mode (that screen is a 1024x768 Samsung SyncMaster 570S TFT, which isn't good at reporting its capabilities to the system, alas). An xorg.conf file is not supplied by default, with this system's video setup, and I didn't proceed further on that line. Since this box is on a side LAN, routed through another server, and I didn't have iptables set up right on the server at the time, I didn't try any networking stuff.

2) On my laptop (Averatec 3280), another (but typical) problem occurred regarding screen resolution. As is the case with some other distros, including Ubuntu, it came up in 1600x1200 mode, showing only the upper-left 1024x768 corner of the screen. Using the screen resolution dialog allowed me to set 1024x768 (at 0 Hz ??). Again, typical. Again, I haven't tried playing with an xorg.conf file to override the initial settings, and actually haven't determined what screen driver it's using (should be openchrome on this system).

I managed to set up both fixed-IP Ethernet and my Hawking USB wifi dongle (which uses a Ralink chipset) - a little tedious, since you have to kind of coax Network Manager to do the right thing. At one point, after making a setting, I had to restart the NetworkManager daemon, after the network-manager-gnome applet disappeared. This should have been fixed upstream by now - it has been fixed for Ubuntu 9.10, at least in a development site.

I could NOT get the system to recognize ANY of my PC slot wireless cards. (They work running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and Ubuntu 9.04, which I tried yesterday from live CDs)

I'm sending this from my laptop, running F12/F11.92 using the USB wifi.

Peter

  That's why you have a Linux/BSD/UNIX server for backups.

  SMAUG:        http://scruz.org/
  My Web:       http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
  UBUNTU:       9.10 release on Oct 29! http://www.ubuntu.com/