[Smaug] Meetings, and spark-gap transmitters and crystal sets

Peter Belew abcruzww at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 12:55:32 PDT 2009

I think we should be on the lookout for a better place to meet. With
the onset of winter weather, finding a place that doesn't have the
'open-door policy' of Pacific Ave Pizza seems desireable. I'll be
looking this weekend a bit myself, and would like suggestions from
others.

I'm even told that IHOP's wi-fi has improved though there is still the
problem of limited power outlets in the place. Also there is the
problem that it's an extra bus ride for any UCSC or downtown or
westside people. Chris suggested a coffeeshop near Todal Fitness
downtown that has wi-fi - I'll try to find that today.

The K6BJ ham radio list had a posting just now about someone who makes
and sells custom crystal-set radios and spark-gap transmitters, just
the thing for antique collectors:

  http://k8cix.tripod.com/crystalradio.html

I like the picture of the dancing kitties connected to a crystal radio!

See you all soon ... I'll keep folks posted regarding my search.

Peter Belew

http://scruz.org