[Smaug] Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 beta Real Soon Now maybe

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Thu Oct 1 10:04:52 PDT 2009

Today is the announced date for the beta release of Karmic Koala, Ubuntu 9.10.

There are a number of RCs (Release Candidates) for the various Ubuntu install disks available, but the 'final' beta isn't there quite yet:

  http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/

It Will Be Soon! :)

If you've been testing alpha versions, and have been keeping up updates, there isn't a whole lot of reason to get the beta, unless you want to test the installation process or want to do a fresh install on some system.

Koala is NOT quite ready for prime-time - there are still lots of bugs. I still have to hand-edit static IPs, sound doesn't work on my laptop, some applets only appear at random on the upper panel, some things like to crash, etc.

Final release is at the end of the month. One hopes.

Peter Belew

http://scruz.org/