[Smaug] Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade using the alternate disk

Peter Belew peterbe at sonic.net
Wed May 13 17:35:52 PDT 2009

Bob Lewis mentioned yesterday that one way to upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 is to use the Alternate Install CD.

Here are Ubuntu's instructions for doing that.

 http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Upgrading Using the Alternate CD/DVD

I tried that on my Dell server last night, mounting the ISO image of the alternate CD instead of doing the update from an actual CD. On the first pass, I said not to fetch any files from the Internet, so I had to update after that.

Also, I DID have to run the upgrade program explicitly - it didn't run automatically when I mounted the ISO image. This is described in the Ubuntu instructions.

I did run into some errors, especially doing the Internet part of the upgrade. I had to make about 3 attempts to finish the upgrade, but succeeded eventually.

Despite the errors, the whole process was somewhat faster than doing the upgrade completely over the Internet, and the final result was good. There were a few additional updates today.

The upgrade does edit one's /etc/apt/sources.list file, for the new version of the OS, as expected.

- Peter Belew

http://scruz.org/

http://feltonlug.sturdywebs.com/

http://www.cabrillo.edu/associations/clug/