[Smaug] Linux

orbit orbital04 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 18:33:53 PST 2007

Hi,

Perhaps we have different issues with similar symptems? I want my Ubuntu
smb server to stop prompting Windoze machines for login/password when
they try to access a shared folder on my machine. After futzing around about
it I checked at the Samba website and they do address the login/permission
thing. The config file needs some hand editing and a couple new directories
created (public/private). Apparently smb uses the cifs protocal and designates
a single directory to the publicly accessable and then users of the machine
put there files in there for sharing. I suppose that directory is linked to
the user's home directory or some such.

I decided to go to the Samba website, I know, that's too easy!:) So I'll
eventually get through it all. I was just disappointed the Ubuntu distobution
included the nice shared folder configuration tool and it doesn' t work out of
the box, one might as well install the sources and compile and install configure
from there. Sometimes I'm lazy and want to use the thing to accomplish a
task rather than all the rest heh

Cheers,

--Paul T.

Anthony Ettinger <anthony at chovy.com> wrote: The only thing I was able to do is to unmap any mapped drives...I
think because I have a public share and a private share, (the first
not requiring a login), that windows doesn't know what to do.

--
Anthony Ettinger
Ph: 408-656-2473