[Smaug] Santa Cruz Meeting location;WiFI Solutions

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 10 23:06:12 PDT 2006


Hi Guys,

The building is the Education Center, in the extreme northwest corner of the 
Dominican property with an entrance door with an overhaning awning,  to he 
parking lot, along Paul Sweet Street.
You can see in the Google photo image  below,  the blue awning cover to the 
stairwell entrance to the meeting rooms.  Another picture which I might be 
able to attach, (done)  shows many narrow windows to the outside of the 
building.

Google Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=Dominican+Hospital&near=Santa+Cruz+CA&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=36.990449,-121.983942&spn=0.00189,0.003616&t=h&om=1

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg at hotmail.com;
                  Skype:  Sparky599
From: Craig Anderson <acraiga at pacbell.net>
>To: MrUmunhum at popdial.com
>CC: Bill Dale <wld-lists at earthlink.net>, smaug at lists.svlug.org, Pat 
>Barthelow <aa6eg at hotmail.com>, Sean Lazar <knife at toaster.net>, "Silicon 
>Users & Experimenters ((SVWUX)) Valley Wireless" <svwux at svwux.org>
>Subject: Re: [SVWUX] Meeting minutes for September 2006
>Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:15:34 -0700

>If I remember right, and they hold the meeting
>in the same room as when I was there, it is a
>second floor room that is in the back of the
>building at the far back of the hospital property
>slightly up a hill.  The back of the building has
>some trees but the front is open parking lot.  A
>Google Earth location is here.
>
>Craig
>
>On Sep 10, 2006, at 6:38 PM, William Estrada wrote:
>>Bill,
>>
>>Thanks for your inputs, but never say never!
>>If the room has a window that points to the outside, something can  be 
>>done. We could also use a cat5 cable running to the outside.  Once 
>>outside, the problem becomes finding a sponsor. ThirdBreak.org may be of  
>>assistance here?
>>
>>Just a matter of planning.  SVWUX managed to get WiFi access to the  
>>latest Linux Picnic, but it took a while to get it set up.  Trees being  
>>the biggest problem.  Portable network nodes are available.
>>
>>A video recording would be nice for this short of notice.
>>Remember as I have always said:
"There are ways of doing things and then there are ways of getting  things 
done!"

>>Let us not suffer from "Lack of imagination".  Maybe SVWUX should  set up 
>>an Event Networking Team ( ENT )?  Then again, that is what this  meeting 
>>is all about!  Please don't take my comments as an attack.  I seam to come 
>>off as  a hard ass in my writings.  I do respect and welcome your 
>>comments. Thanks.
>>
>>William Estrada
>>
>>Email      : MrUmunhum at popdial dot com
>>Resume     : www.Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net/resume/william_estrada.html
>>HTTP       : www.Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net




73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg at hotmail.com;
                  Skype:  Sparky599

>From: Sean Lazar <knife at toaster.net>
>To: MrUmunhum at popdial.com
>CC: Bill Dale <wld-lists at earthlink.net>, Chris Verges 
><squirrel at headnut.org>,        svwux at svwux.org, Pat Barthelow 
><aa6eg at hotmail.com>,        smaug at lists.svlug.org
>Subject: Re: [SVWUX] Meeting minutes for September 2006
>Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:48:37 -0700

>
>What would be great is a unit that could be taken to meetings that has a 
>cellular data card and a wifi card. I have seen such setups and current 
>linux software supports this. I have many soekris net4521s (router with two 
>PCMCIA card slots) and wireless cards. This can solve the problem of 
>internet connectivity. The drawback is that it has to be in a location with 
>cell tower access. I am willing to help out if needed.
>
>
>William Estrada wrote:
>
>>Bill,
>>
>>Thanks for your inputs, but never say never!
>>
>>If the room has a window that points to the outside, something can be 
>>done.
>>We could also use a cat5 cable running to the outside.  Once outside,
>>the problem becomes finding a sponsor. ThirdBreak.org may be of assistance 
>>here?
>>
>>Just a matter of planning.  SVWUX managed to get WiFi access to the latest
>>Linux Picnic, but it took a while to get it set up.  Trees being the 
>>biggest
>>problem.  Portable network nodes are available. A video recording would be 
>>nice for this short of notice.
>>
>>Remember as I have always said:
>>"There are ways of doing things and then there are ways of getting things 
>>done!"
>>
>>Let us not suffer from "Lack of imagination".  Maybe SVWUX should set up 
>>an
>>Event Networking Team ( ENT )?  Then again, that is what this meeting is 
>>all about!
>>
>>Please don't take my comments as an attack.  I seam to come off as a hard 
>>ass in
>>my writings.  I do respect and welcome your comments. Thanks.
>>
>>William Estrada
>>
>>Email      : MrUmunhum at popdial dot com
>>Resume     : www.Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net/resume/william_estrada.html
>>HTTP       : www.Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net
>>
>>
>>Bill Dale wrote:
>>
>>>William Estrada wrote:
>>>
>>>>Chris,
>>>>
>>>>   Although you did an excellence job of avoiding the question, it has 
>>>>not gone
>>>>away.
>>>>
>>>>   I asked you about a WebCast of your presentation to the Santa Cruz 
>>>>Radio Club.
>>>>Are you going to  be able to do it???  How would a person view it?  Just 
>>>>a few days to prepare for it.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>I have given a presentation there and the local Hospital net does not 
>>>give access to us.  There is a proxy server with password protection and 
>>>no WiFI access.
>>>
>>>Streaming Video (live) is not possible.  A video recording might be 
>>>possible but time is short to set that up as well.
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>William Estrada
>>>>
>>>>Email      : MrUmunhum at popdial dot com
>>>>Resume     : www.Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net/resume/william_estrada.html
>>>>HTTP       : www.Mt-Umunhum-Wireless.net
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Chris Verges wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>The minutes for the September 2006 meeting are now available
>>>>>online:
>>>>>
>>>>>   http://www.svwux.org/twiki/bin/view/SVWUX/MeetingSummary20060907
>>>>>
>>>>>The next meeting will be on Thursday October 5, 2006.
>>>>>
>>>>>Thanks,
>>>>>chris

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: CAE7AJ2H.jpg
Type: image/pjpeg
Size: 23437 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.svlug.org/archives/smaug/attachments/20060910/7667ab95/CAE7AJ2H-0001.bin


More information about the Smaug mailing list